top of page

Drones in the United Kingdom (UK)

Public·81 members

Do I need to register my drone in the United Kingdom?

The Civil Aviation Authority now states that there are two criteria for the use of drones in the UK. These both apply to drones (or unmanned aircraft) that weigh between 250g and 20kg.

💡 The mavic pro mini is exempt from this new registration process.

The first is that anyone responsible for a drone must register as an operator, giving you an operator ID, which costs £9 and has to be renewed each year. The second is that anyone flying a drone must take and pass an online course and exam, giving you a flyer ID. There’s no cost involved, but the course must be completed every three years for you to retain the ID.

Once you’ve met both of these regulations you’ll also have to mark any drone you have with your operator number so that police and CAA know that it’s yours. Basically, make sure you don’t lend your drone to anyone as it will be your name that comes up if something goes wrong.

Those with existing CAA permission or exceptions for drone flying, or members of various model flying associations will not be required to pass the exam. But, you will need to discuss this with your relevant association to ensure that you’re allowed to pilot drones, as you wouldn’t want to get a fine or ban due to a technicality.

Those considering buying their first drone should also take a look at our drone gear reviews.

How to pass the online course and get your flyer ID?

The online test isn’t quite as arduous as it might first seem. Currently, it’s comprised of twenty multiple-choice questions of which you must answer at least sixteen correctly. There’s no age limit, but children under thirteen years of age will require a parent or guardian to be present when they register.

You’ll find everything you need to know in order to pass the test in the new Drone and Model Aircraft Code. When you’ve read and understood the code, you can take the online test and get your flyer ID.

How to register as an operator

If you will be the one responsible for a drone, you’ll need to visit the CAA site and register as an operator. You’ll need your credit or debit card to pay the £9 yearly fee and you’ll also be required to provide an email address that will be available to you while completing the application.

Once both the flyer ID and operator ID processes are complete you’ll be able fly or be responsible for a drone in the UK, but be aware that the certification is not valid outside of this territory.

Here is more information on where you are allowed to fly a drone in the UK.

Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links meaning we will get a commission if you decide to purchase via them. This has no costs for you but helps Dronemade stay free for all. If you need to buy anything on Amazon or DJI stores, think of us.


Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...